What is the Wholesome Food Association?
- We have been established since 1999.
- We are a network of growers, processors, suppliers and distributors of authentic, locally-grown, wholesome food.
- We are a campaigning organisation, promoting smaller-scale, sustainable food production.
- We provide a low-cost labelling scheme for marketing wholesome, locally grown food, without the expense and complications of ‘organic’ certification.
- All the food sold by WFA affiliates is grown and produced using time-honoured, ‘natural’ methods, such as crop rotation, composting, mulching and the avoidance of all harmful chemicals. (The use of the word ‘organic’ is only permitted for those who have paid for official organic certification. This is a legal safeguard, to ensure that organic standards are maintained when food is being shipped around the country – and the world.)
- We are a non-profit organisation (although not a registered charity), run by volunteers.
- To promote food production by sustainable, non-polluting methods using a ‘local symbol’ scheme.
- To educate people about the health, social and economic benefits of eating fresh, locally grown, wholesome food.
- To help rebuild and renew local economies and communities by encouraging people to produce and purchase food locally.